Collective Shout condemns malls for exposing kids to pornified images of women during Easter activities
Grassroots campaigning movement Collective Shout has captured images of children participating in Easter activities being exposed to porn-themed shop front displays in WA shopping centres.Read more
Grassroots campaigning movement Collective Shout has exposed online marketplace Amazon selling multiple books promoting rape and sexual torture of women and children.
This comes days after the company was forced to remove pedophile-themed baby onesies with the slogans “Daddy’s little f**k toy” and “I just look illegal”.
Campaigns manager Caitlin Roper said that the titles available for purchase promoted rape, gang rape and rape of girls by their fathers.
“These books depict victims, including children, as sexually enticing and therefore deserving of rape,” she said.
“They emphasise the victims’ vulnerability, their unwillingness and their pleas, treating their resistance as something erotic and sexy.
“Amazon’s despicable promotion of rape and child sexual abuse as sexy or somehow warranted undermines global efforts to address an epidemic of men’s sexual violence against women and children.
“It’s time for Amazon to start exercising basic corporate social responsibility and to wake up to the real-world impacts of the rape books they are profiting from.”
Collective Shout has been campaigning against Amazon since 2010, when the company sold ‘The Pedophile’s Guide to Love & Pleasure: A Child-Lover’s Code of Conduct’, an instruction manual advising pedophiles on committing sexual offences against children without being caught. Amazon initially refused to remove the book, but after a global protest and threats of boycott the book was removed from sale.
Since then, Collective Shout has documented Amazon’s ongoing sale of sexually exploitative products, including sexy nurse costumes for female toddlers and child sex dolls.
Members of Collective Shout reached out to Amazon executives on Twitter, including founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, but have not received a response.
4 April 2019
Collective Shout releases annual blacklist of repeat corporate offenders
Collective Shout today announces the release of its annual ‘Cross em off your Christmas list’ – a selection of companies to boycott this Christmas for objectifying women and sexualising girls for profit.
The grassroots campaigning movement first launched the list in 2010.
The 2018 line-up includes:
Westfield for failing to take action on resident sex shop Honey Birdette, which openly defies Ad Standards rulings against porn-themed window displays. Westfield (owned by Scentre Group) has ignored a 65,000 strong petition.
Cosmetic company Frank Body for targeting teen girls through its ‘Send Nudes’ lip tint . The company has ignored the protests of Melbourne schoolgirls who spoke out about normalising the harassing refrain girls endure from boys, often daily.
Wicked Campers for its long history of degrading and sexist slogans – some even advocating murdering women - on hire vans, also in breach of Ad Standards.
Ultra Tune for its sexist advertising and hiring high profile men with histories of rape, physical violence and domestic abuse to star in their ads.
Campaigns manager Melinda Liszewski said research demonstrated a connection between the way women and girls are portrayed in advertising and the impact on attitudes towards women and their treatment. A 2015 meta-analysis showed objectified portrayals of women led to a ‘diminished view of women’s competence, morality and humanity.’ [Media and Sexualization: State of Empirical Research, 1995-2015, Ward LM, The Journal of Sex Research (2016)]
"These companies are harming women and girls, demonstrating a lack of corporate social responsibility. We can't let them get away with it."
Find the complete list here.
November 18, 2018
Collective Shout calls on Immigration Minister to revoke serial abuser Sheen's visa
Grassroots campaigning movement Collective Shout has called for Minister for Immigration, Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs, David Coleman, to revoke actor Charlie Sheen's visa.
Sheen is set to kick off a speaking tour in Australia next month. Sheen's sickening history of sexual assault, battery and threats against women spans over two decades.
Campaigns Manager Caitlin Roper said Charlie Sheen is a serial abuser of women.
"Given his long history of sexual assault, battery and threatening to kill women, how was he granted a visa?"
"We've got enough problems with violence against women in Australia, so why are we rolling out the red carpet for serial abusers of women?" Ms Roper said.
Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 78 on Controversial Visa Applicants refers to “people whose presence in Australia may, because of their activities, reputation, known record or the cause they represent and propagate, vilify or incite discord in the Australian community or a segment of that community, or represent a danger to the Australian community or a segment of that community.”
Collective Shout Director Coralie Alison said "We believe the application by Charlie Sheen meets the Department’s definition of ‘Controversial Visa Applicant’. Our views are based on his long and documented criminal history of violence against women. Allowing Mr Sheen into the country sends the message that domestic violence is not taken seriously."
Collective Shout have posted an open letter on their website and are encouraging their supporters to add their name.
Collective Shout calls for uniform laws to stop Wicked Campers promotion of rape and murder
Grassroots campaigning movement Collective Shout has called for legislation to deregister Wicked Campers vehicles featuring misogynist and racist slogans and imagery.
Tasmania, ACT and Queensland have passed laws to deregister Wicked Campers if they do not abide by Ad Standards rulings. Collective Shout has launched a petition as part of the campaign #drivewickedofftheroad, calling on Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, and Western Australia to do the same. Ministers responsible for transport and roads Luke Donnellan (VIC), Melinda Pavey (NSW), Stephan Knoll (SA) and Michelle Hopkins Roberts (WA) are being called on to act. Over 4000 have signed the petition so far.
To date, Wicked Campers have have fallen foul of Ad Standards over 80 times - some vans carrying slogans promoting rape and even murder of women. But the company refuses to comply with Ad Standards rulings.
Collective Shout Director Coralie Alison said this was yet another example of the failures of advertising industry self-regulation.
“The current system is a failure. Wicked Campers repeatedly and defiantly breach the code of ethics with no consequences,” Ms Alison said.
“There are no penalties for non-compliance, which means there is nothing to stop companies like Wicked Campers promoting misogyny and treating the abuse of women as a punchline. That’s why we need uniform legislation across states and territories."
Collective Shout exposes Wish shopping app selling child sex dolls and replica body parts - Collective Shout
For Immediate Release: Collective Shout exposes Wish shopping app selling child sex dolls and replica body parts
Grassroots campaigning movement Collective Shout has exposed budget shopping app Wish selling a range of child sex dolls and lifelike, silicone replica women’s vaginas, backsides, mouths and throats, torsos, legs and feet marketed for sexual use. https://www.collectiveshout.org/child_sex_dolls_on_wish_were_just_the_beginning_it_gets_worse
Caitlin Roper, spokesperson for Collective Shout, said the dolls were designed to look like pre-teen girls.
“The dolls are typically between 100 and 130 cm tall and tagged as ‘flat-chested’,” said Ms Roper.
“They are deliberately posed in such a way as to emphasise their youth and vulnerability.”
“These items exist to aid male users in their fantasies of raping children. The very sale of these dolls is an endorsement of paedophilia. Why is Wish promoting crimes of violence against children?”
Wish, which was founded by former programmers at Google and Yahoo boasts 300 million users on their app which is rated 12+, suitable for children twelve and above.
The company responded to Collective Shout’s Facebook post within hours, suggesting they had not been aware of the items.
“We are committed to preventing the sale of inappropriate items on our platforms and to immediately removing inappropriate items when we find them,” Wish wrote in a Facebook comment.
The company also promised to remove the items and take action against the merchants.
Representatives for Collective Shout rejected the response from Wish, claiming some of the offending items had even been marked “Verified by Wish”, and that child sex dolls were only the beginning.
Collective Shout documented a substantial number of replica body parts of women and children being marketed for sexual use by Wish. These included lifelike disembodied children’s legs and “top quality” silicone female child sex doll heads for oral sex.
Collective Shout also discovered hidden spy cams available for purchase alongside imagery of a man secretly filming a woman as she undresses.
Collective Shout is calling for Wish to urgently remove these items. Wish has not responded.
27 June 2018
For Immediate Release: Child sexual exploitation reporting: media must do better
Campaigning movement Collective Shout have partnered with Sydney Feminists to call upon the media to report responsibly in regards to child sexual exploitation.
Brisbane writer Jas Rawlinson outlined the failings of mainstream media in her recent piece How The Media Continue to Traumatise Child-Exploitation Survivors, published on Collective Shout’s website.
In reporting on crimes of sexual violence against children, news outlets frequently use terminology that suggests acts of sexual abuse are sexual acts between adult and child. Phrases commonly used include ‘sex with child’ or describe a ‘sexual relationship’ between the perpetrator and victim.
Collective Shout’s Caitlin Roper says the media have significant power in the shaping of cultural attitudes on sexual violence.
“When child sexual abuse is reported as ‘sex’ or a relationship between the two parties, rather than recognised for what it is—adults preying on children—this has significant influence on people’s attitudes to and understanding of these issues,” she says.
“It feeds into damaging myths that victims contribute in some way to their abuse, and only serves to keep the focus on those victims - unfairly opening their behaviour up to public scrutiny.”
Canadian author Carrie Bailee, who escaped to Australia aged 20 after surviving a childhood of sexual exploitation, says it’s vital that media and public figures are educated on the impact of trauma abuse and ethical reporting.
“The amount of courage it takes to report sexual abuse or assault and get to a space where you feel ready to come forward with your story is enormous, because the shame [experienced] becomes embedded long after the abuse stops,” she explains.
“Although It has been heartening to see a gradual change in the way journalists discuss child sexual abuse victims, with terms such as ‘child pornography’ now more often referred to as ‘child exploitation material’, many are still yet to take note,” says Jas Rawlinson.
“Whether it be a case of media outlets preferring sensationalism over sensitivity, or unintentional ignorance, it’s time for the media to do away with terms that diminish the abuse done to victims, and to begin reporting with dignity.”
Supporters of the campaign are encouraged to use the hashtag #LanguageMatters on social media.
An application by The Sixty30 in Merriwa, W.A, to modify existing entertainment conditions to allow topless waitresses was rejected this week by the WA Director of Liquor Licensing.
The application attracted multiple objections from individuals and community groups who argued the proposed changes promoted sexist attitudes toward women. Campaigning movement Collective Shout lodged an objection stating:
- The use of women’s bodies in sexual entertainment and services is a form of prostitution
- Sexual trade in women’s bodies both causes and contributes to gender inequality by reducing women to mere objects for men’s use and enjoyment, with adverse impacts on women who are directly involved as well as women as a whole
- A significant body of research links sexual objectification of women with violence against women
- Sexploitation venues pose a threat to women, with women reporting increased incidents of sexual harassment, abuse and violence in areas in close proximity to strip clubs
Collective Shout State Coordinator, Caitlin Roper, said Collective Shout welcomed the decision.
“We are very pleased with the outcome. Businesses that profit from reducing women to mere sexual objects for men’s use and entertainment undermine efforts to address men’s violence against women. This determination is a step in the right direction.”
The Director of Liquor Licensing concluded that there was insufficient evidence provided by The Sixty30 venue that introducing topless waitresses would be in the public interest.
“It is also important to distinguish between the public interest and private interests… the application is primarily concerned with the private financial interests of the Applicant and the operators of Perth’s Best Girls…The Applicant has failed to produce sufficient, probative evidence to satisfy me that the grant of the application is in the public interest.”
The tavern had attempted to argue there was demand for topless waitresses with statements of support, the Commissioner noted, predominantly from male respondents. The Commission responded:
“The evidence fell well short of establishing that the variation of the licence was in the public interest. Whilst “Dan the Man”, “Show me pussy”, “Robbo”, “Marshy”, “Bob”, “Jacko”, “Swanny”, “Fido”, and others may want to see strippers at the hotel based on their signing of the questionnaire, there is nothing before the Commission that is capable of establishing that the variation of the licence is in the public interest.”
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sydney - Leading academics, educators and child advocates are set to gather on Safer Internet Day February 9, at the University of New South Wales to discuss the harmful impacts of early pornography exposure on children, including medical problems, emotional harm, abusive mind-sets and risky sexual behaviours.
The ground-breaking symposium will hear a growing body of evidence that children are increasingly being harmed by premature exposure to graphic sexual content online.
The Australian-first symposium will discuss the latest findings from a diverse range of multidisciplinary stakeholders including researchers, child protection experts, psychologists and sexologists. Speakers include:
Associate Professor Dr. Michael Flood (University of Wollongong) on pornography and masculinity
Maree Crabbe (Project Coordinator Reality and Risk) on violence and pornography
“Cyber Cop” Susan McLean (Cyber Safety Solution), on the problem of pornography in schools
Psychologist Dr Joe Tucci (Australian Childhood Foundation), on the links between exposure to pornography and problem sexual behavior including children acting out on other children..
Symposium spokesperson Coralie Alison of Collective Shout, said the community rightly expected children, who were being exposed at an unprecedented rate, to be protected from unsuitable content.
“However, despite the best efforts of parents and teachers, the reality is that children today are just one click away from a deluge of violent, degrading, aggressive content – much of it showcasing the abuse of women.”
According to the research to be presented at the conference:
- Over 60% of girls and over 90% of boys have viewed online porn
- Children as young as four are being referred to programs for problem sexual behaviour
- Pornography is increasingly serving as the default sex educator for young people
- Pornography has been shown to fuel sexual abuse among minors
“There is growing evidence that this is a public health crisis, with a generation of children on the frontline.”
Other speakers include Liz Walker (Youth Wellbeing Project), Dr Caroline Norma (RMIT University), Dr. Helen Pringle (UNSW), Dr Lesley-Anne Ey (University of South Australia), Holly-Ann Martin (Safe4Kids), Hugh Martin (Man Enough), Collett Smart and Melinda Tankard Reist (Author, Collective Shout).
“Pornography and Harms to Children and Young People”, Feb. 9, 2016, 8:30am – 5pm, University of New South Wales (Matthews Theatre)
Collective Shout has called on Immigration Minister Peter Dutton to revoke a visa given to US recording artist Tyler the Creator for a September all-ages tour.
In a letter to the Minister, Collective Shout argues Tyler’s promotion of violence against women and his behavior on a July 2013 tour disqualify him for entry.
The rapper’s lyrics describe raping women, mutilating their genitals, chopping up their bodies and raping their corpses. Activist Talitha Stone, who led the campaign against his earlier tour, was subjected to an onslaught of rape and death threats from Tyler’s fans after he targeted her on twitter.
Ms Stone attended the Sydney concert undercover where the rapper, unaware she was present, proceeded to verbally abuse her from the stage, whipping the crowd into a frenzy. (Police also investigated the alleged sexual assault of a woman during the concert).
Ms Stone recorded and uploaded footage of her vilification to YouTube, which contributed to NZ banning his entry last year. Twitter also implementing a ‘report abuse’ button as a result of the online vilification Stone received.
Collective Shout co-founder Melinda Tankard Reist said granting a visa to an artist who advocates raping and murdering women contradicted the Government National Plan of Action to Reduce Violence Against Women and their Children.
“You can’t have a national plan of action to reduce violence at the same time as rolling out the red carpet to an artist who eroticizes and glamourizes it,” Tankard Reist said.
Minister Dutton has the opportunity to send a strong message about the seriousness of violence against women.
“On behalf of women and girls, and all who care about them, we are asking the Minster to place the safety of our female citizens before a recording artist who helps fuel a hostile culture environment for all of them.”
June 14 2015