Submission on eSafety's Restricted Access System
We were pleased to make a submission on eSafety's Restricted Access System to limit the exposure of children and young people to harmful online content.
We recommend selection of the strongest form of proof-of-age protections to be resistant to any efforts by vested interests to undermine its operations and to protect as many children as possible from demonstrable harm.
Click image below to read full submission
In our submission we highlighted
- our support for age verification to protect children from exposure to online pornography
- the long-standing failures of self-regulation to rein in corporate offenders
- the unrealistic and unfair burden on parents to protect their children from harmful online content
- the harms of sexual objectification, recommending that online safety guidelines protect children from these harms
- the need for expert input from child and youth development experts and best practice in addressing the special needs and vulnerabilities of young people in developing regulations
- the RAS's relevance to the e-commerce industry
- the need to protect children from data mining and harmful design features
Read our full submission here.
Read our other submissions here.