The Ad Standards panel have again determined that Honey Birdette's latest poster is in breach of the advertising code of ethics. The posters have been hanging in major shopping centres around the country in direct view of families and children.
Mumbrella reported that this is the 13th ad that has been banned for Honey Birdette out of 28 rulings meaning nearly half of the ads have breached the code of ethics.
“At a time where sexual assault is increasing in the news, this legitimisation of using woman’s naked bodies to sell underwear is inappropriate. Other manufacturers sell underwear/ lingerie and do not portray woman in this way nor do it in full view of young boys and girls. This is not about an objection to women.
“It is the objection to the sexual objectification of women – it is about opposition to sexism, to corporates who profit from the sexual exploitation of women and have the audacity to claim they are empowering women in the process,” one the complaints continued.
Upholding the complaint, the Board said: “The level of nudity was at the higher end of the scale and the image was highly sexualised and as such the image included on a poster that is
visible to members of the community standing outside the business was not appropriate for the relevant broad audience which would likely include children.”
However despite this ruling Honey Birdette have again gotten away with breaching the advertising code of ethics without consequences. Many Westfield stores have facilitated advertising that is harmful to its customer base. Families should be able to bring their children into a Westfield Shopping centre and feel it is going to be a safe environment for them.
Melbourne father, Kenneth Thor, launched a petition to Westfield Chairman, Brian Schwartz and CEO, Peter Allen calling on them to do more to ensure their centres are family friendly. To date it has over 62,000 signatures.
We are calling on Westfield and the Scentre group to show some corporate social responsibility and urgently introduce basic advertising standards to ensure their tenant’s storefront signage is family-friendly.
Parents, employees and regular customers should be able to walk around a “family-friendly” shopping centre without seeing larger than life pornified posters that would be banned in a standard workplace setting, right?
Today is the time for direct action. By taking 10 minutes today to ring or visit Westfield Centre management we will ensure that our message is received.
Call or email the operator of Westfield – the Scentre Group.
Scentre Group Support Office & Switch
- Phone: (02) 9358 7000
- Address: 85 Castlereagh St, Sydney NSW 2000
Contact your local Westfield Centre Management about the lack of advertising standards in their Centre. Ring or pop into your local store and make a complaint in person. The stores are listed below.
Please comment on this post with what action you took and what response you received!
Westfield Shopping Centres:
- Bondi Junction, NSW - 500 Oxford St Bondi Junction NSW 2022 (02) 9947 8000
- Carindale, Brisbane - 1151 Creek Road Carindale/Brisbane QLD 4152 (07) 3120 5400
- Chermside, Brisbane - Cnr Gympie & Hamilton Rds Chermside/Brisbane QLD 4032 (07) 3117 5300
- Doncaster, VIC - 619 Doncaster Rd (Cnr Williamsons Rd) Doncaster VIC 3108 (03) 9848 1699
- Eastgardens, NSW - 152 Bunnerong Rd Eastgardens NSW 2036 (02) 9344 6766
- Fountain Gate, VIC - 25-55 Overland Drive Fountain Gate VIC 3805 (03) 9704 6666
- Garden City, Upper Mt Gravatt, QLD - Cnr Logan & Kessels Rd Upper Mt Gravatt/Brisbane QLD 4122 (07) 3135 5450
- Helensvale, QLD - 1-29 Millaroo Drive Helensvale QLD 4212 (07) 5630-5100
- Hurtsville, NSW - Cnr Cross St And Park Rd Hurstville NSW 2220 02 9511 2700
- Knox, Wantirna South, VIC - 425 Burwood Highway Wantirna South VIC 3152 (03) 9814 5000
- Kotara, NSW - Corner Park Avenue & Northcott Drive Kotara NSW 2289 (02) 4016 2570
- Marion, Oaklands Park, SA - 297 Diagonal Rd Oaklands Park SA 5046 (08) 8298 1188
- MT Druitt, NSW - Cnr Anzac Ave & North Lakes Dr. North Lakes QLD 4509 (07) 3491 9072
- North Lakes, QLD – Cnr Anzac Ave & North Lakes Dr. North Lakes QLD 4509 (07) 3491 9072
- Plenty Valley, Mill Park, VIC - 415 McDonalds Road Mill Park VIC 3082 (03) 9404 4511
- Southland, Cheltenham, VIC - 1239 Nepean Hwy Cheltenham VIC 3192 (03) 9582 5600
- Tea Tree Plaza, Modbury, SA - 976 North East Rd Modbury SA 5092 (08) 8264 4011
- Warringah Mall, Brookvale, NSW - Cnr Old Pittwater Road And Condamine Street Brookvale NSW 2100 (02) 9905 0633
- West Lakes, SA - 111 West Lakes Boulevard West Lakes SA 5021 (08)8159 4330
- Whitford City, Hillarys, WA - Cnr Marmion & Whitfords Ave Hillarys WA 6025 (08) 9308 2751
Read the history on Honey Birdette here.